Julia Child’s Kitchen at the Smithsonian Museum

Posted on August 25, 2012
Hi, Everyone! I hope that you are all having a great weekend and enjoying the last few days of the summer! I can’t wait for the fall to be here, I’m ready for the heat and the humidity to be over already! I wanted to share some pictures of a recent trip to Washington DC. As soon as I found out that Julia Child’s kitchen reopened at the Smithsonian Museum of American History in honor of what would have been her 100th birthday, I wanted to go and see it! I just read her book My Life in France a couple of weeks ago, and just love her whole story, and so I was so excited to get to see her kitchen! Here are some pictures from the exhibit, sorry they are not the greatest quality since they were taken with my phone. If you are a fan of Julia Child, it’s definitely a fun place to visit! You can find more information about it here!
 By the entrance to the exhibition
A view of the kitchen. Julia Child donated everything to the Smithsonian Museum in 2001.
m
Another view of the kitchen
 The kitchen shows the hundreds of utensils that Julia owned, as well as lots of her appliances, dishes and pots and pans.
All of Julia’s copper cooking pots and pans!
Julia Child’s diploma from Le Cordon Bleu.
 Unfortunately this was as close as you could get to the kitchen, it would have been so neat to be able to walk through it, but it was really interesting seeing it like this too!
So if you’re ever in the area, are a fan of Julia’s and haven’t seen the kitchen, it’s a fun thing to do! They are also opening a new exhibition called Food: Transforming America’s Table, 1950 – 2000 at the Smithsonian American History Museum at the end of November! I hope you liked the little tour of Julia’s kitchen, and hope you get to check it out for yourself sometime! Have a great rest of your week, Everyone, and Bon Apetit!

• Reply Leslie @ Violet Imperfection August 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I think it’s great that Julia Child donated her kitchen. I love that her history will be preserved like this. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Maria August 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love that she donated the kitchen, too! Glad you liked the pictures! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Vickie August 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm

That was one of my favorite exhibits in D. C. She was an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

• Reply Maria August 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

It’s one of my favorites, too! Glad you liked the pictures, Vickie! Thanks for stopping by today!

• Reply Art By ASM August 26, 2012 at 1:57 am

Thank you for sharing! That really is amazing to see. She will always be an inspiration to we homemakers!

• Reply Maria August 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

You’re right, she always will be an inspiration! Glad you liked the pictures! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Tani@Tagana Rose August 26, 2012 at 4:58 am

Looks like such a great exhibit!! I just watched that film about her, Julie and Julia, over the weekend and have to read her book soon!!!

• Reply Maria August 26, 2012 at 7:32 am

That’s one of my favorite movies! The book is a fun read, too!

• Reply Valerie at The Year of Living Healthfully August 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I have never seen the exhibit but would love to now that we live only 3 hours away from the Smithsonian! I noticed that julie and Julia is on TV tonight. I never get tired of watching it. Thanks for the pictures!

• Reply Maria August 26, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Oh you’ll definitely have to see it if you live that close, it’s not a huge exhibit but if you’re a Julia Child fan it’s worth it! And I watched the movie on TV last night too – I never get tired of watching it either! Hope you have a great week!

• Reply Mariana August 26, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Firstly: I love the red shirt you’re wearing! Super cute.
    And I would LOVE to have a kitchen like hers!! It looks like it’s a great exhibit. So happy you shared this 🙂

• Reply Leslie August 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

How fun, Maria! I’d love to see her kitchen! After watching the movie Julie & Julia, I’ve been wanting to go there myself!
    Thanks so much for the comment you left about my kitchen. It’s funny you said that about Nigella, because I’ve always loved her twinkle lights!!
    Blessings,