Traditional Czech Buchty – Sweet Buns filled with Rosehip Jam

Posted on October 15, 2012
Hi, Everyone! I’m so excited to share this recipe for traditional Czech “buchty” (sweet filled buns) with you today! Every time I get a little homesick and miss Prague, I know that cooking or baking something that reminds me of home will cheer me up! These sweet buns are one of my favorites, and just the smell of them backing brought back lots of happy memories of summers at my grandparents’ house. Traditionally, the buns are filled with a sweet sort of cream cheese mixture, plum jam or a sweet poppyseed mixture, but since I didn’t have any of those I decided to fill them with some rosehip jam (one of my favorites!) These buns are really easy to make, are so light and fluffy and deliciously sweet! Here is how I made them…
TRADITIONAL CZECH BUCHTY
*Makes 12*
YOU WILL NEED:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (2 1/4 tsp) instant dry yeast
2 tbs granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 whole egg and one extra egg yolk
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1 cup jam of your choice!
1. First, combine the flour and sugar in your electric mixer bowl. Next, heat up the milk until it is lukewarm, and add the instant dry yeast to it. Cover and let sit for about five minutes, until its frothy. Set aside.
2. Next, whisk together the egg, extra egg yolk, vanilla extract and oil. With the mixer running, slowly begin adding the yeast mixture and the egg mixture to the flour, and mix until a soft dough begins to form (if the dough is too wet, add more flour). Then, knead for five minutes using the dough hook attachment on your mixer. Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
3. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll out into about a 9×13 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut the rectangle into 12 equal squares. Drop a dollop of jam in the middle of each square. Grease your baking dish (I used a 6x8inch baking pan) and make little bundles out of each square, pinching down the bottom so none of the jam leaks out. Place the little bundles into your pan (brush the sides of each one with oil – this is very important, it’s what helps them bake as buns and not one big cake) and cover and let rise for another half hour.
 l
4. Preheat your oven to 350 deg F and bake for about 20 – 30 minutes, depending on your oven, until they are beautifully golden brown on top! (While they are still hot, you can brush them with a little bit of milk just to make them super soft.) Let cool for a couple of minutes, then dust with confectioners’ sugar!
k

Happy Baking, Everyone!

• Reply Leslie October 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Oh my goodness, these look Heavenly! I’ve never seen anything like this! I love recipes that bring back memories of home. 🙂
    Blessings,
    Leslie

• Reply Maria October 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

Thank you, Leslie! I love those recipes that bring back memories too, they just make the food taste all that much better! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great day!

• Reply Mo 'Betta October 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

These really do look fantastic!

• Reply Maria October 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

Thank you so much!

• Reply Angela October 15, 2012 at 10:57 pm

These look amazing, your whole Blog is making my mouth water and my eyes big, lol. I am following you back so i don’t miss a thing 🙂

• Reply Maria October 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thanks, Angela!

• Reply Rebecca @ Herons Crafts October 16, 2012 at 1:12 am

These look sooo delicious! Cannot wait to give them a go! Thanks for the recipe!
    Have a great day!
    Rebecca

• Reply Maria October 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thanks, Rebecca! And thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

• Reply Jane Craske October 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh! Super Yum! I haven’t had these in years and years-thanks for the recipe.

• Reply Maria October 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Thanks, Jane!

• Reply Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com October 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm

These look so good…you did a great job explaining the recipe, but the pictures are the best. I love you home city having visited Prague several times. I can see why you would miss it. Bless you, Gail

• Reply Dear Lillie October 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm

These look delicious!

• Reply HungryLittleGirl October 25, 2012 at 11:51 am

They look scrumptious!
    I would love to have you share this or any other of your recipes at Wednesday Extravaganza – my Foodie Link Party! Here is the link:

Can’t wait to see you there!

• Reply SIENA.STYLE November 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm

no way you did it!!!im from the czech republic but recently moved to milano italy
    these buchty are the most difficult thing to bake it even for us in the czech republic, good job!!
    kisses

• Reply Tori December 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm

This recipe is amazing! I just made it today for my grandparents who are from the czech republic and they loved it! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

• Reply Maria December 23, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Hi Tori! I’m so so happy you and your grandparents enjoyed the buchty!! I love making these, it’s one of my favorite Czech things to bake! Thank you so much for letting me know you tried them and enjoyed them!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Reply TresBohemes October 24, 2015 at 9:19 am

This is a wonderful recipe.
    We make and eat buchty all of the time, all different kinds and we love to try other people’s recipes as well.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply ahomemadeliving October 30, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Thank you so much! They are one of my favorites! I would love to know what kinds you make! Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Reply Susan Ledyard December 11, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I am so excited to have found this recipe! My Dad has been craving what sounds to be these rolls! His mother/my grandmother used to make them when he was young and he said he wished he knew how to make them. I am going to make these for him for Christmas and his Birthday, but I am going to use Lekvar inside – that is one of his favorites when I make filled cookies, and it is what his mother used. Thank you for sharing this and preserving our beautiful Slovak traditions 🙂

• Reply ahomemadeliving December 11, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Hi Susan! Thanks so much for stopping by! I really hope that you enjoy these and that they bring back happy memories for your dad! I hope they turn out great, I love making these, they always remind me of home! 🙂 Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!