Hi, Everyone! So, the other night I had a craving for something really good… not just good, but REALLY good. I’m sure you know those cravings. For some (annoying) reason I always start thinking about all the good things I want to eat around midnight, right before I’m supposed to be going to bed and not filling my stomach with unnecessary amounts of sugar! So I was trying to think of all the things I could possibly bake the following day and then I had a delicious thought… Nutella Swirl Rolls! Is there anything better in this world than Nutella? There is no bad day that a spoonful (or whole jar) of the smooth, chocolaty goodness can’t fix! Sweet rolls are one of my favorite things to bake and I often make different variations of them, and so I thought I would combine the two things and make these Nutella Swirl Rolls. Seriously the best idea I’ve had in a LONG time! They are ridiculously good; soft, chewy, filled with crunchy nuts and lots and lots of Nutella, of course!
NUTELLA SWIRL ROLLS
*Makes 12 – 16 rolls*
YOU WILL NEED
3 1/3 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast (3/4oz)
1/2 cup plus 1/8 cup warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
1/2 cup (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
2 tbs granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 jar Nutella (14oz)
1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tbs milk
1. Begin by dissolving your yeast in the warm water in your electric mixer bowl. Cover it with a kitchen towel and let it sit for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is frothy. Then, begin adding the milk, butter, egg, sugar and salt, and mix until you have a smooth mixture.
2. Next, start adding the flour in portions (add as much flour as you need to make the dough hold together), you should have a soft, elastic dough. Knead with the dough hook attachment on your mixer for at least 5 minutes. Then, form the dough into a ball, place it in a large greased bowl, cover it and let it rise in a warm place for up to an hour and a half (until it has doubled in size).
3. Once you take the dough out, punch it down and roll it out into a rectangle on a floured surface (roll it out to about 8×14 inches). Spread the Nutella on the rolled out dough equally (use as much of it as you need, I used almost the whole jar, but if you prefer the rolls not to be as sweet and chocolaty, use less!), then sprinkle about a cup of the chopped walnuts on top.
4. Preheat your oven to 350 deg F and grease your baking dish (I used a 9 inch round baking pan). Now begin rolling the dough up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Make sure you roll the dough tightly, and pinch the ends so the filling doesn’t fall out. Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 – 16 equal slices, placing each into the baking dish and sprinkling the tops with the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts.
5. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, depending on your oven, until the edges are golden brown and the center has baked through. Let the buns cool for about 10 minutes. If you would like to make a glaze for these, simply whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and milk and drizzle over the warm rolls.
Happy Baking, Everyone!